Skip to main content

Government Documents and Information: Government Documents Collection

Finding government documents & information at the Drain-Jordan Library, online, and around the world

More About SuDoc Classification

Government resources, using the Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) Classification System, are organized by the agency that created the content.  

Here is an abbreviated list of common SuDoc stems:

A   Agriculture Department

C   Commerce Department

C3   Census Bureau

CC   Federal Communications Commission

D   Defense Department

E   Energy Department

ED   Education Department

EP   Environmental Protection Agency

FA   Fine Arts Commission

GA   Government Accountability Office

HE   Health & Human Services Department

HS   Homeland Security

I   Interior Department

J   Justice Department

LC   Library of Congress

PREX  Office of the President

  State Department

T   Treasury Department

Print Magazines

The Drain-Jordan Library receives several print journal subscriptions for free through the FDLP. These include: Army History, Army Sustainment, Economic Indicators, Library Journal, Smithsonian Magazine, and Social Education. These journals are cataloged in our Virtua Card Catalog and can be found in the Periodicals section of the library with our other magazines.

Government Documents Collection

The Drain-Jordan Library catalogs depository holdings according to national bibliographic standards and classifies most government documents using the Superintendent of Documents (SuDoc) Classification.
Uncataloged Government Documents LocationThese materials can be found in the Periodicals department of the library on the main floor, underneath the FDLP sign. They include maps, newspapers, kits, indexes, federal codes, committee papers, pamphlets, booklets, microfiche, and ephemera that is not deemed appropriate to put in with our general collections. For ease of access, these materials are listed in an Excel spreadsheet, which can be found by clicking on the link provided above. Although this is updated regularly, feel free to contact the government documents librarian for the newest version of this resource.

Selected items from the FDLP, such as print books, are classified using the Library of Congress Classification (LOC) and are often located in with our general book collection.

The materials in the Government Documents Collection are non-circulating, which means they cannot be checked out. 

Maps in the Drain-Jordan Library

In the back of the reference section (near the oversized books) you can find our map collection, most of which are government documents. Click the link above for a list of maps in the library. 

Can I Request Government Documents?

If there is a print or online resource you would like to see that the library doesn't currently have, we can change that! The selection process for government documents occurs year round, and the items we have selected start shipping out every October. Just email the government documents librarian to let us know.

Submit a Request or email the Government Documents Librarian.

Wondering what you can request? Check out the official U.S. Government Printing Office Bookstore page. Not everything on this page is available for FDLP libraries, but it's a good guide for the kind of content we can select.

Periodicals and Government Documents Librarian

Rachael Jackson's picture
Rachael Jackson
Office: 304-766-5222

We don't have what you need? Google it!

Google Web Search

Can't find what you're looking for here at the Library? Check out the Getting Started box on the home page for more options on finding print materials.

If you need it right now, most government documents after 1976 are online, and can be found through a simple Google search. The .gov and .mil limiters have already been added for you, so simply type your search term(s) before or after the text in the box. 

If your search is still pulling up .com and .org sites in your results, try using Google's "Advanced Search" options.

As always, if you need help don't hesitate to Ask Us!